[Dev] Fwd: Re: [Assist] Xorg Problem with Radeon

André Silva emulatorman at riseup.net
Wed Sep 10 06:28:01 GMT 2014

On 09/10/2014 02:18 AM, arnuld uttre wrote:
>> On 9/10/14, André Silva <emulatorman at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> All the kernels from [libre] were upgraded with the new module,
>> you can install Parabola on your machine. Meanwhile i'm building
>> the special kernels from [kernels] with the same module.
>
> What is the difference between kernel from [libre] and kernel from
> [kernels] .

On [kernels] we have linux-libre-rt (with realtime preemption
support)[0], linux-libre-lts-knock (stable longtime supported kernel
with support for stealth TCP sockets)[1], linux-libre-lts-grsec (same
than linux-libre-grsec on [libre] but stable longtime supported kernel
with stable version of grsecurity/PaX patches)[2], linux-libre-pae
(same than linux-libre on i686, but with PAE support (HIGHMEM64G) as
x86_64 version) and linux-libre-xen (same than linux-libre on i686,
but with Xen guest support as x86_64 version). To enable [kernels] on
your machine, please see [3]. Also, if you want get more info about
our repos, there is another article with better explanation about it [4]

[0]:https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/
[1]:https://gnunet.org/knock
[2]:https://grsecurity.net/
[3]:https://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/Official_Repositories#.5Bkernels.5D
[4]:https://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/Repositories

> Whici on pacman pulls when you do "pacstrap /mnt base" installation
> and "pacman -Syu" ?

In this case, pacstrap will install the most important packages from
[libre] and [core] on /mnt.
"base" is a group of packages that contains the essential packages to
works an operating system, like the GNU userland which is an important
part of most GNU/Linux-based systems, providing the most common
implementation of the C library, a popular shell, and many of the
common Unix tools which carry out many basic operating system tasks.
Also, Linux-libre kernel and tools like util-linux, ext2fs, iptables, etc.
Otherwise, "pacman -Syu" updates all packages on the system [0]
To know more about pacman, please see [1]

[0]:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Upgrading_packages
[1]:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman